23 April 2011
As you do, I searched from my own website name on google the other day, and found that someone else had had a quite similar idea to mine, and they'd invented something that sounded truly brilliant: Bacon Vodka! The blog I found it on is called Spoonsie's Blog and has a sub-section called The Bacon Bible, which is where I found the recipe.
Since bacon vodka sounds like just about the best drink ever (second only to bacon beer.. which I need to try make at some point) and ridiculously easy to make, I went right ahead and did it.
The only problem is that you need to leave it for a whole 3 weeks before it's ready, which means that I won't be able to tell you if it's as good as it sounds for another couple of weeks. If you don't much care what I think and want to try making some of your own, here's the recipe.
Edit: I've now posted the results on Bacon Vodka - Part 2.
- Cook 3 rashers bacon (I bbq'ed mine DON'T make the same mistake! Fry or oven-grill it!).
- Once cooked, place in an air-tight jar and fill up with about 35cl of Vodka, seal.
- Leave in a dark cupboard for at least 3 weeks.
- After 3 weeks, put your jar in the freezer until the fats solidify, then strain through a coffee filter.
- Decant into a bottle of your choice, and enjoy.